Application submission is now closed.
Pianists of all nationalities, aged 20 to 30 on 30 August 2018, with the exception of previous Honens Laureates and professionally managed pianists, are eligible to apply.
How to Apply
Applications to the Honens International Piano Competition are accepted online through the ‘Decision Desk’ application platform.
Applicants must create a user ID and password and accept Decision Desk’s terms of service. Incomplete applications will be subject to immediate rejection. The online application system will acknowledge complete application submissions as soon as they are received.
When to Apply
Applications are now open. Applications and supporting documents must be received by 8 November 2017 (23:59 GMT-07:00). Recommendation letters must be received by 14 November 2017 (23:59 GMT-07:00).
This non-refundable fee must be paid by credit card with the submission of online applications. Credit card information will be submitted securely. There are no fee waivers.
Supporting Application Documents
In order to complete your application, you must scan and upload supporting documents in pdf format and send digital photographs in jpeg/jpg format. Ensure each document and photograph is uploaded separately and is oriented appropriately (either portrait or landscape).
Upload the following documents, most of which support with the information you provide in your application:
- Biography: a professional biography outlining your achievements
- Identification: proof of age (passport or similar government-issued identification)
- Education: diploma, certificates, and transcripts
- Scholarships and Awards: diploma, certificates, and letters
- Other Competitions: certificates, letters, news clippings, and reviews
- Professional Experience: proof of orchestra, chamber music, and solo recital performances (house programs), commercial recordings and compositions (cover-art or the first page of scores), and any reviews
- Photographs: at least one headshot suitable for reproduction
Supporting Document Guidelines
- Only pdf documents and jpeg/jpg photographs will be accepted.
- All document scans must be legible (grey scale or black and white recommended).
- Document orientation: portrait-oriented (vertical) documents should be scanned so that they appear in portrait format in the pdf; likewise, documents printed horizontally (landscape) must appear in landscape format in the pdf.
- Photographs should be sent digitally at a resolution suitable for reproduction at 300 dpi.
- Do not mail paper copies or forward email attachments of documents or photographs unless directed to so by Honens.
Please note that public libraries, office supply stores and other services can create scanned documents for you. If you are absolutely unable to upload documentation, please be in touch with the Honens administration at firstname.lastname@example.org for instructions.
Download Rules and Application Manual for Pianists
An application must include two confidential letters of recommendation from musicians of international standing, unrelated to the applicant, who are qualified to attest to a candidate’s musical ability. The online application requires that the applicant provide the names and email addresses of the persons who have agreed to provide recommendations. The online application system contacts these persons directly by email and asks them to submit their recommendations electronically. Honens will accept a paper recommendation when it is enclosed in a sealed envelope with the recommender’s name signed across the flap.
These confidential assessments should address the applicant’s suitability and readiness for the Honens Competition and for a professional career in music.
It is each candidate’s responsibility to ensure that these letters are submitted. Submissions without at least two reference letters will be considered incomplete.
Letters of recommendation must be received by 14 November 2017 (23:59 GMT-07:00).